I recently attended an event hosted by Lord Patel at the House of Lords for the South Asian Community Diabetes campaign. I thought I would blog some facts that novo nordisk, the sponsors of the event unveiled.
- People of South Asian origin are 6 times more likely to have type 2 diabetes
- 2.9 million people in the UK have diabetes and know about it. Another 850,000 are unaware they have it.
- Prevention is a vital investment for people who are at risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Early diagnosis and effective treatments are essential for people who have diabetes.
- Up to 80% of cases of type 2 diabetes could have been delayed or prevented.
- Diabetes costs the NHS £9 billion every year (around 10% of its budget)
Diabetes prevalence in Brent is higher than the national average and we will be focusing our efforts on this when public health partly transfers as an area of Council responsibility next year.