The Lib Dem Councillor who has been living in Brighton since 2011 has finally resigned.
The Lib Dems have yet to apologise to the people of Brent and have an arrangement where his allowance has gone to the Brent Liberal Democrats, funding things like their party political leaflets while his attendance to Council meetings has been woeful and engagement with residents and local police zilch LINK
The Lib Dems have shown nothing but contempt for the residents of Dudden Hill – The local Brent Lib Dem Nick Clegg sorry moment has yet to come.
The Willesden and Brent Times is reporting that a whopping seven out of their 16 Councillors plan to step down at the next local elections – LINK
The Party locally looks to be in complete meltdown as the Independent reported in their article titled “Lib Dems suffer plunge in party membership” (LINK) that the largest drop in membership of the Liberal Democrats came in Brent where they “saw 42 per cent of activists quit in the space of 12 months.”
The Times article also says that my Co Councillor of the Liberal Democrats, David Clues, who has been living in Brighton since December 2011 will not be putting himself up for election in 2014 in Brent. He still refuses to resign despite this scandal!
We’ve had consecutive weeks of people writing in the the local paper to express their dismay at the fact that Dudden Hill Liberal Democrat Councillor David Clues has been living in Brighton for over a year now. Last week’s letter in the local press poses some interesting questions over the Reverand’s move. He claimed that he was transferred by the Church but Helen Brown’s letter seems to suggest there there is a more competitive recruitment process and so the Lib Dem may have been more proactive in his move to Brighton and told a different story to people in Brent.
This tweet that I posted during the Labour Party conference has received 103 retweets and been favourited six times so I thought I would blog it due to popular demand!
Andy Burnham: "The NHS Bill was dead in the water until Nick Clegg gave it the kiss of life. Don't ever let the Lib Dems forget that" #lab12—
Cllr Krupesh Hirani (@Krupesh4Brent) October 03, 2012
I do tend to tweet a lot (follow @Krupesh4Brent!). Now and again, I retweet interesting articles I’ve read on the web. Here are the last 10 [politically relevant] articles I have linked;
- Cuts will bleed Council reserves dry in 5 years says Senior Tory – LINK – Brent has traditionally had low levels of reserves. That it is why it is financially important that in an era of increased risks to Brent Council, we keep sufficient reserves to cover those risks.
- Disability rights groups protest at DWP against Paralympics sponsor Atos – LINK – Atos is a French IT company that carry out Work Capability Assessments with disabled people. Unfortunately, the Labour Party is not innocent in all of this as we did as award the original contract to Atos, but pressure to attack benefits from the current Government has exacerbated things. The Coalition has gone even further by naming Atos as a main contractor for carrying assessments for disabled people’s Personal Independence Payment (PIP) entitlement. PIP is the benefit that will replace the Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
- Mark Ferguson on LabourList on a Lab / Lib Coalition being a non-starter – LINK
- Save Central Middlesex Hospital’s A&E – LINK – The Brent Labour Party has provided campaign materials for people to join in on the campaign against the current proposal that will permanently close the A&E Department serving the most deprived part of the Borough.
- Fleet Street Fox’s article on tax and cuts to disabled people – LINK
- Lib Dem Peer says their Party should consider disposing Nick Clegg – LINK
- Mark Steel on Atos – LINK
- Retiring Andrew Strauss may bat for the Conservatives at the next election – LINK – after quitting cricket for good, the ex-England captain is being touted as a future Tory MP.
- Welsh health survey: One in three take no exercise – LINK – This is an article related to Wales, but it is a trend I am very worried about. The positive effects of regular physical exercise are well documented.
- Caught Yellow Handed – LINK – I was reminded last week about this document highlighting Lib Dem Hypocrisy through their actions in Parliament and their leaflets and campaign work in their constituencies. Brent Central Lib Dem MP Sarah Teather has a starring role.
So Nick Clegg cuts tax for the highest earners in the country and then says that the wealthy should pay more tax – LINK
Here are some Twitter reactions to Clegg’s announcement.
Hypocrisy of Clegg is stunning! To call for tax on super-rich having supported reducing top rate of income tax takes some believing.—
Wayne David MP (@WayneDavidMP) August 29, 2012
Clegg - the rich should pay more tax/the rich should pay less tax (delete where applicable depending upon which week it is).—
(@JackDromeyMP) August 29, 2012
Nick Clegg has a cheek. Today he calls for millionaires to pay more tax. 6 months ago he voted to give tax cuts to millionaires.—
Gloria De Piero (@GloriaDePieroMP) August 29, 2012
How much of their £40k tax break does Nick Clegg want millionaires to give back?—
Luciana Berger (@lucianaberger) August 29, 2012
You’re not fooling anyone Clegg.
The local paper’s website is once again reporting on the fact that Lib Dem Councillor for Dudden Hill Ward David Clues is living in Brighton and is inaccessible to local residents. You can read the article here – LINK
Calling a by-election is totally out of our hands so Dudden Hill Labour will continue to work hard for our residents as we have been doing since even before we had elected Councillors in the ward.
I’ve blogged before about the curious activities of the Brent Liberal Democrat conniving promotion tactics and the con tricks they use here LINK. This is becoming usual practice when it comes to the Liberal Democrat candidate for the Dollis Hill by-election Alison Hopkins.
Here I blogged about how the Lib Dems use her and plant her in stories in the local press as a “local resident” when she is a known activist for Nick Clegg’s Party as she even stood as a Council candidate in the 2010 Brent local elections as a Liberal Democrat candidate – LINK.
Well it seems a quote from the Lib Dem was planted as coming from a “resident” in late February, when leaflets were going around in Dollis Hill Ward promoting Alison Hopkins.
The Willesden and Brent Times have since realised this and pulled the quote from the online version of the article – but obviously it is impossible to amend printed versions of the article. They have sorrily explained that they did not know at the time she was a known local Lib Dem activist.
In an article in the Guardian titled “Nick Clegg to accuse Banks of Racism”, the Lib Dem leader is quoted to have said the following.
“Britain’s banks, bailed out by the British people, have just as much responsibility as everyone else, arguably more responsibility, to help Britain build a strong and dynamic economy. Unleashing black and ethnic minority talent is their duty too.”
“If you are a white player you have a one in 50 chance of moving into management. If you are a black player? One in 500.”
Rt Hon Nick Clegg MP
What a load of hypocrisy from Nick Clegg.
It is absolutely hypocritical of Nick Clegg to talk of a duty to unleash ethnic minority talent while in the House of Commons, the Lib Dems have ZERO ethnic minority MPs in Parliament.
Nick Clegg is right to raise the issue of pay discrimination to ethnic minorities in the private sector and the lack of Management and Executive positions given to ethnic minorities in the sports industry. But, if the Liberal Democrats are to lecture others with any ounce of credibility, they must sort out their own house first.