TfL Disability Campaign

TfL are currently running a campaign called ‘Come on Board’ which targets older and disabled groups, providing them with information and support to aid travel across London’s public transport network.

If there are any local groups who they feel may benefit from a visit by TfL as part of this campaign email transport.strategy@brent.gov.uk with details of the group which will be passed to TfL.

Please offer me a seat trial on public transport

Following the success of the ‘Please offer me a seat’ trial, Transport for London has announced the badge and card will be introduced on a permanent basis early next year.
 
The ‘Please offer me a seat’ badge and card were trialled to help customers who need a seat, but have difficulty getting one. The trial was a response to feedback from customers and research conducted last year, which found people with invisible impairments, conditions and injuries can often find it difficult to get a seat when they need one – particularly if their need is not obvious.
 
The trial was met with extremely positive reviews:
·        Participants reported 72 per cent of journeys as being easier as a result of the badge;
·        On 86 per cent of journeys participants reported feeling more confident when asking for a seat on public transport; and
·        An overwhelming 98 per cent of participants said they would recommend the badge and card to somebody they think needs or would benefit from one.
 
TfL is planning to launch the badge and card to all customers who need one early next year. Many customers may of course not want to use the badge and card, and TfL has committed make sure people are supported too. 
 
If you sign up to receive accessible travel updates by visiting www.tfl.gov.uk/emailupdates, TfL will let you know when our new badge and card is live.

Central Middlesex A&E to close permanently today

We have already expressed our deep concern about the results from the Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspection of Northwick Park Hospital – which is set to become the borough’s main A&E hub when the Central Middlesex unit closes.

Under plans rubber stamped by the Tory Lib Dem Coalition Secretary of State for Health, Jeremy Hunt, Northwick Park is expected to have to cater for many more patients from September 10 when the A&E unit at Central Middlesex, which currently treats 10,000 Brent patients, is due to close.

However, England’s health watchdog the CQC revealed, in a report that was released last month, that Northwick Park’s overall performance ‘required improvement’ and that its critical care service was deemed ‘inadequate’.

It is crucial that the recommendations as set out in the CQC report to improve Northwick Park Hospital as a matter of urgency.

NHS bosses were also summoned to a Brent Council scrutiny committee last night to face questions from councillors over the findings in the watchdog’s report.

In the critical report, North West London Hospitals Trust were told by the CQC that the Northwick Park A&E service did not have enough staff to provide safe care, was unable to meet the 4-hour waiting time target and did not have sufficient protocols in place.

The probe also found that patient flow through the hospital was not good enough and that pressures on critical care units were such that patients were often discharged too early, occasionally resulting in patients having to be readmitted.

Following the inspection, the CQC ordered the trust to make a number of improvements, including making sure there are enough staff and systems are in place to assess and monitor the quality of the service provided in A&E.

We cannot tolerate a situation where Brent residents are left with sub-standard health and emergency services – especially when this hospital is going to be a main hub if Central Middlesex A&E unit is closed.

In addition, transport issues to Northwick Park hospital remain unresolved with TfL refusing to look at improving transport links to Northwick Park Hospital.

 

Major campaign victory in 2010 still resonates on the doorstep today

In 2010, one of our first major campaign victories was the traffic measures we introduced on Tanfield Avenue. Residents were victim to buses and large vehicles hitting their cars.

Liberal Democrat Councillors knew about this and took zero action. They only come around at election time in Dudden Hill.

We called on TfL and Brent Council to look at the option of allowing cars to park on the road and part on the pavement before we were actually elected.  

We were successful in our argument and won funding to pay for pavements with lower kerbs to allow this to happen.

You always remember your first major campaign victory and this was still remembered by residents living on the road when we visit them. 

More Jubilee line misery this weekend

London - Moving Tube London - 550d
(Photo credit: @Doug88888)

More incompetence from the Mayor of London yet again, failing to deliver for Dudden Hill residents who continue to be deprived of a weekend tube service. This is addition to the troubles that commuters faced this morning when the line was part suspended.

I recall a conversation I had on the doorstep with one of my residents who lives on Aberdeen Road who said that she had factored into her life that she doesn’t have a weekend tube service.

We were told that we would have no more weekend closures on the Jubilee Line. With the line not operating between Willesden Green and Stanmore this weekend, this promise has failed to materialise. Boris Johnson has lost his grip on the issue and it’s time that we had a Mayor that truly cares about our transport system.

That is why it is important that Ken Livingstone is elected as the Mayor of London on May 3rd as he is an individual that studies the detail, and takes a hands on approach to the Mayoral office rather than being one that poses for press and photo opportunities.

Labour’s candidate for the 2012 Mayoral elections Ken Livingstone pledges to cut fares by 5%

I welcome the pledge from the Labour Party’s candidate for the 2012 London Mayoral election Ken Livingstone to reduce fares by 5% in Autumn 2012 if elected in May next year.

People in Dudden Hill Ward are telling me all the time about their dissatisfaction with the tube service increasing whilst at the same time, fares are also increasing.

Details of Ken’s policy can be found here LINK

The cost of transport has a major impact on the income that ordinary workers take home as travel costs do take quite a chunk out of people’s wage earnings. This is exactly what we need to help people get on and Ken’s pledge is very welcome.

Time for the excuses to stop – Boris Johnson needs to get a grip on the Jubilee Line

1996 stock used on Jubilee Line by London Unde...
WikiImage

New figures published by TfL (Transport for London) have shown a further decline in tube services under Boris Johnson with overall delays up by 16% across the underground network.

Dudden Hill residents mainly commute using Jubilee Line underground stations as this formerly well run service is the only tube line permanently stopping at Willesden Green, Dollis Hill and Neasden underground station.

The latest TfL figures show in the last year, from March 2010 to March 2011, show delays on the Jubilee Line Jubilee line are up 120%!!!!!

The figures come from TfL’s own website: LINK (click on the delays tab).

As tube delays have increased in the past year, Boris Johnson has made excuse after excuse. In February this year he blamed Transport for London (the organisation he chairs), in March he tried to blame it on strikes and then in April he even tried to shift the blame on to the statistics rather than accept responsibility.

Boris must be held accountable to the misery he has caused to tube passengers.

EXCLUSIVE: The final set of weekend closures for the northern section of the Jubilee Line will be between Sunday 15th May and Sunday 26th June

Northern entrance to Dollis Hill tube station
WikiImage

Transport for London has revealed that the final set of weekend closures will take place between Sunday 15 May and Sunday 26 June.

We were promised that the works would be completed first of all last year and then by Spring 2011. However, it seems that Spring will be arriving later than usual this year, with the works now expected to be completed at the end of June.

It is however a huge relief that it look like the line will be running in time for the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, but I am hugely disappointed that Dudden Hill residents have had to endure years of no Jubilee Line service at weekends from Willesden Green, Dollis Hill and Neasden Station.

The over-running Jubilee Line upgrade should be complete at Easter but Mayor Boris Johnson lost his grip on the issue

Dollis Hill Tube Station
Image by Ben.Harper via Flickr

The latest update on works to the Jubilee line is that the over running works should be completed by Easter.

The Mayor Boris Johnson has totally failed Dudden Hill residents on this issue. I was out knocking on doors in my ward last week and asked a resident who lives close to Dollis Hill tube station what she thought about the tube service on weekends. Her response saddened me.

She said, “I don’t consider it an issue. It’s just something that I’ve factored into my life. We don’t have a tube service on weekends.”

It shouldn’t have to be like this, I thought. What’s even worse is when the service is running during the week there are delays, often at crucial times when people are just trying to get to work and earn a living. Furthermore we get unprecedented hikes in tube fares to go with this lack of weekend service and delays.

This is unacceptable. The time for Boris to get a grip on this issue has passed; he has already lost it.

Crackdown on serial graffiti vandal

An ASBO has been given to a graffitist who has been the culprit of eyesores in Dudden Hill, Willesden and Kilburn – as well as on the tube and rail networks. His graffiti damage has cost Brent Council more than £1,800 to clean up.

If any residents have issues regarding anti-social behaviour they should call the Brent Safer Neighbourhood Team on 0300 123 1212 or Brent Anti Social Behaviour Team on 0208 733 3932 or 0208 733 3940.